Friday, June 25, 2010

Death of a Techno Friend

WOW, call it fortuitous, call it a blessing, call it a miracle.

I talked Allen into getting a new laptop to take to China. He reuluctantly agreed, so we bought one on Tuesday night - well, really two (one for him also).

Then, he began to transfer my files onto an external hard drive because I had been telling him my desktop computer was slow, locked up, etc. Then, shortly after he had moved the files onto the external drive in preparation to move them to the new laptop, my computer crashed, died, gave it all up, AND became infected with a terrible virus. I cannot turn it on, look at anything, view my pictures, make cards, etc., etc., etc. It's a goner!

This now-defunct computer over the past years has:
*done family history, including taking names to the temple
*kept a blog
*written to father-in-law Hubert every Sunday for many years
*written to missionaries,
*kept in touch with family and friends (including reconnecting with a roommate of 40 years ago) via email
* shopped for bargains and non bargains
* learned the news
* googled at least a gazilllion times
*looked up phone numbers @ whitepages.com
*looked up scriptures and other items at LDS.org
*found addresses and church meetings times when out of town
*brought music into our home via ITunes
*kept my pictures semi-organized
*found via Facebook a former exchange student from Malaysia who lived with us for a year
*ordered books for my Kindle, ordered clothes for my body, ordered gifts for my family

OH, I'm gonna miss you, desktop computer with the big screen and great keyboard.

Thanks for the good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment